Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Snow Day

After you leave college and start your career snow days seem like a thing of the past. I have been out of college for about five years now and since graduating I have never once had a snow day until this week. I worked in Tulsa for three years. This means making the hour long commute every morning and every evening. It was brutal and made staying at the company difficult. Many people used to think that when there was bad weather either in Bartlesville or Tulsa that I would obviously get a snow day because of my commute. Wrong. I was usually expected to work from home. The only way of getting out of that was to lose electricity or internet, which never happened.

I remember one year we had a terrible storm. We had all know it was coming so I made sure to bring home my laptop and all other things I knew I would need to work at home. Now typically I would only be home for one or two days but this time the storm caused everyone to be home about one week. Finding work to complete at home so that I could still get paid wasn't a problem. The problem was that my husband was granted almost a week long paid vacation because of the weather. Do you know how hard it is to stay motivated to work when you husband is laying around the house watching TV or playing video games?! Needless to say that is when I realized I would probably never get a real snow day again until this week.

On Sunday we had about an inch of ice and 5 inches of snow fall. We have had similar weather all year and still remained open, so I assumed that I would be heading to work on Monday. Then Sunday night I got a text from my boss saying that they decided to close on Monday to allow our facilities team time to clear the parking lot. Since we work with seniors I understand wanting to make sure that the parking lot was in as good of condition as possible because if we are open then people will come. It was glorious for two reasons. First, I had been battling a migraine all day Sunday which didn't seem to dull even after spending all day in bed. I had already played with the idea that I may have to call in on Monday if it wasn't better. Therefore, our snow day saved me a sick day. Secondly, my husband had to work (he didn't go in late and come home early) and T was at a friend’s house. This means for a short period of time on Monday I would be ALONE.

I miss being alone. I used to have Monday evenings when Matt was working late to be by myself but not anymore. Let me guess what you're saying: "You are trying to have a baby; once you do you will never be alone again". I know that but it seems different to give away your alone time when you decide to have a baby than when it is trust upon you. I wouldn't change the life we have now. I love having my brother with us. It is just hard sometimes.

So on Monday for my snow day I enjoyed the silence. I read for a while. I had lots of coffee and tea. I watched whatever I wanted on TV and I took a nap. It was glorious and much needed. I feel rejuvenated now that I have had just a few hours. I love snow days.

No comments:

Post a Comment